How much does it cost for a measure and estimate?
At Taff’s we are happy to come to your home or business to measure and provide you with an estimate at no cost.
Who will move our furniture?
We are able to move most furniture for you at a nominal fee. Floor installation may seem like a scary process to some homeowners. The idea of strangers moving around furniture seems risky and potentially dangerous. However, with simple methods and strategies, most floor installation providers can move furniture with ease. Our flooring installation involves trained professionals who are well aware of the moving techniques they should use.
Do you tear out the old flooring?
We do offer tear out and disposal of your old flooring. All old carpet is recycled.
Are rating systems comparable? Can they insure that I get the right carpet?
Manufacturers develop their own Rating Systems based on different testing methods, standards and criteria. Since there is no standardization, and most systems are based on individual opinions, it’s not advisable to cross-reference manufacturers rating systems.
Can products be compared by weight or other technical specifications?
Technical specifications of a product are helpful. It is important to realize that many other factors affect the comparison. If two carpets are manufactured with the same specifications, for example, but made with different fibers, they could look, feel, and perform completely different.
If the backing of carpet shows when I bend it, does that indicate low quality?
No. With the exception of woven carpets, all carpets are made with spaces between the fiber ends. Carpets are made to lie flat on the floor. The best way to compare the thickness or density of different carpets is to place your fingers in the pile, on a flat surface. Thicker, denser fiber or yarn carpets generally perform better.
What is twist?
Twist is a measurement of the number of turns manufactured into a specified length of carpet fiber or yarn. The reason the vast majority of carpets have twisted yarns is because twisting adds to the performance of a carpet. More tightly twisted yarns generally have more resilience than those that are less tight.
What is density?
The number of ends (tufts) per square yard of carpet determines the density, the greater the number of tufts, the greater the density. Density can be increased by more closely placing fibers together or more tightly packing the fibers into the backing.
Can I save money by selecting unbranded yarn as opposed to a branded yarn, getting the same product for less?
Not necessarily, and often not. Similar products with unbranded yarns may cost less, but you may not get quality performance from unbranded yarns. Branded fiber yarns, like branded carpets and treatments, are manufactured to quality standards set by the individual company. Branded fibers usually meet a higher standard and come with extended warranties backed by the fiber company and the carpet manufacturer.
Can I spend less on the carpet and more for a better cushion to save money?
While a good cushion is essential to providing optimum carpet performance, you need to remember that you walk on the carpet, not the cushion. If you spend less for an inferior carpet, you will probably have a cushion that feels great, but a carpet that does not look as good or wear as well.
How do I keep my hardwood or new vinyl floor clean?
One of the best ways to care for these types of floors is to regularly keep them broom swept clean and to damp mop them with a special floor cleaning solution. We recommend Bona products for hardwood care, Vinyl flooring is easy to clean with just hot water or Armstrong’s Once ‘n Done Resilient floor cleaner. This will ensure no hazy residue is left on your vinyl surface.
How do I care for my new carpet?
- General Flooring Care: Flooring care is an important maintenance procedure for homeowners and businesses alike. Proper flooring maintenance requires knowledge, skill and just plain old hard work. But with the right type of care, all kinds of floors can look their best and remain durable and visually appealing.
- Carpet Care: The friction of debris against the fibers in a carpet is what will wear a carpet down faster than anything else. To prevent this, simply vacuum at least weekly to keep those fibers clean. Most carpet manufacturers require a professional hot steam extraction cleaning of the carpet every 12 to 18 months to maintain the manufacturers warranty. One of the best ways to prevent stains occurring in the first place is to purchase stain-resistant carpet.
- Don’t track dirt inside, Placing walk-off mats outside all entrances will help absorb soil and moisture and trap excessive dirt, sand, grit, oil, asphalt, or driveway sealer that might otherwise be tracked into the home. Clean mats on a regular basis (or sooner, when they need it) so they don’t become sources of soil themselves.
- Use a quality carpet pad, A good carpet pad not only gives better resilience and comfort underfoot, it can extend the life of your carpet, especially on stairs. Because some carpets carry warranties with specific density and thickness requirements, be sure and review your warranty before purchasing your pad. Explore varieties of carpet pad.
- Occasionally move heavy furniture, moving your furniture on occasion won’t just renew the feel of your room, it will also help avoid excessive pile crushing. Also consider using carpet protectors under the legs of tables, chairs, and other furniture to help distribute the weight. Damage can occur if you use chairs or appliances with rollers or casters without a chair pad designed specifically for carpet.
- Protect carpet when moving furniture, When moving heavy wheeled furniture (pianos, buffets, etc.), prevent damage by placing a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood between the wheels and the carpet.
- Clean your area rugs, If you use area rugs on your carpet, be sure to clean them regularly, and make sure you clean and restore the pile of the carpet underneath as well. Also, be sure to check area rugs for colorfastness before placing them on carpet because the color in some rugs may bleed through. After cleaning your carpet, allow it to dry completely before replacing rugs.
- Reduce periods of direct sunlight, protect your carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with blinds, shades, or awnings.
- Vacuuming Carpet: When vacuuming very long or frieze type carpet, the beater brush should be turned off so that only suction is being used to pull the dirt out of the carpet. The vigorous beaters on some sweepers can untwist the fibers of the carpet and cause the carpet tips to appear frayed
- Carpets should be cleaned in a series of steps: They should first be thoroughly vacuumed. Then any larger pieces of dirt or debris that the vacuum didn’t pick up should be lifted off the carpet either by hand or with a broom and dust pan. Moreover, carpets can also be professionally steam cleaned for the most lasting results of maintaining its natural beauty and texture. Stains can often be removed simply with hot water alone or non-soap- based carpet cleaner, such as Shaw R2x Soil and Stain Remover. But never use chlorine bleach or laundry and dish washing detergent as that can make the stains worse.